Monday, November 14, 2016

Digging into the Stash


I wish I could easily part with older stamp sets and dies, but I tend to hang on to everything I buy most of the time. Take for instance this tree. It was done with a Quickutz die (perhaps the first die I ever owned, gifted to me by my DIL) using kraft, gumball green and cherry cobbler red. There's a bell and a star in the set of dies, and I've always loved the way you can layer them with different colors. The woven strips of retired SU! Christmas dsp were trimmed on the ends with an old pair of scissors that look like a vintage photo edge. I used a MFT stitched circle die set to make the medallion layers, along with a SB scalloped die circle, and the Merry Christmas sentiment was done with a retired SU! stamp set; heat-embossed with gold ep on white. The final touch was to punch a star with a SU! mini punch from gold mirror cardstock for the top of the tree. I made several cards like this to use up those pretty strips of leftover dsp that I can't bear to throw away......I know - I'm a pathetic keeper of snippets :)

I'll share this over at the Snippets Playground week 255 where the only requirement is to use snippets. (check!)

Thanks for stopping by and have yourself a great week ahead.

Carol

16 comments:

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Love how you have put this together, a beautiful design and card.
Faith
x

Wendy said...

Love the design of this cute Christmas card, Carol! Those woven strips of dsp are fabulous the way you trimmed the ends and wove them together....very eye catching! And your diecut tree is adorable! I would not get rid of the older things either! I have just sooo much stuff, sometimes I forget what I have and when I find them it's quite a surprise! LOL Keep using up all this snippets of dsp & ribbon....I have lots & lots too and i'm sure we aren't alone! Thanks for sharing, Carol, and have a wonderful day! :)

Bonnie said...

The Christmas tree looks like a beautiful Christmas cookie, Carol! I hold on to the old stuff too. Sometimes I prefer it to the new stuff!

Di said...

Great card Carol - and what super snippets you used too! I do love that die set - like you I can never part with stamps and dies easily. I'm always convinced that the minute I let something go I'll find a use for it!

Hugs

Di xx

Princess Judy Palmer said...

All those bits and pieces have added up into a nice card. Great job.

MaryH said...

What a colorful & cool way to use up some snippets on this layering behind the circle motif and I'm loving your green tree too. No reason to give away something you love that was a gift. And it made such a pretty card too! Hang on to it for yet awhile!! TFS

Jean said...

This is great snippet card Carol, It makes all the lovely strips of patterned paper well worth the keeping. I like the way you matched up the colours in constructing the sentiment nedallion as well.
Jean x

cotnob said...

A fabulous Christmas card Carol, lovely traditional colours.
Pauline
x

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Ah ah ah!! You aren't a pathetic keeper of snippets, or I am so patethic, too!! :D Love very much how you put toghether your bits and bobs, this CAS is stylish and so festive!
Your old pair of scissors have done a fab work with these pieces of DP, they look as washi tape with the distressed edges !
Hugs

aussie aNNie said...

Love this amazing card and your poinsettia one below. Have been with our new baby granddaughter so have missed a few cards.xx{aNNie}

stampingbowd said...

This is so fun! I love the layers of pretty paper and die cuts. I had to check out if it was washi or paper. Great idea using your scissors to make torn edges like washi tape!

Brenda said...

If you got rid of old crafty things you wouldn't be able to make beautiful cards like this one Carol. I love this card and really love that tree. I so remember Quick Kutz dies. I never had any of them but they were on my wish list way back then. A great way to use up those snippets of DSP too. You are always so clever at using up your snippets my friend. And this is one fabulous card! Hugs, Brenda

Donna Hanley said...

Love it. That tree looks so darn cute with the different layers of colors. Have a good night.

CdeBaca Crafts Gallery said...

This is quite unique! Excellent!

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

A gorgeous card, a great way to use up the scraps too.

Sue xx

wannabcre8tive said...

This card is so cute and pretty. I love the design and the use of the Washi tape.